|| DEPARTMENT OF URDU
| Establishment :
| Introduction :
||The establishment of Department of Urdu is as old as the University itself. The Department took a start to offer �Teaching of Urdu to Foreigners�. Beside this, script writing for Radio/TV programmes was also the responsibility of Urdu Department. Before the establishment of Editing Cell in the University, all the courses of University were edited by the Department. The course �Daftri Urdu� meant to introduce Urdu as an official language, first of all was offered by the Department.
Since its establishment, Department of Urdu is playing a vital role for the introduction of Urdu as a compulsory subject. The Department is offering Urdu courses/programmes at various levels i.e. from Matric to Ph.D level.
To promote the effective teaching of literature, the Department has started to arrange seminars and workshops with the collaboration of external agencies. In this Seminar/Workshops, teachers of different colleges are invited to participate. In this connection, the Department has arranged a Seminar in 2003. A 6-day workshop was also arranged in 2004 about the effective teaching of Urdu Inter (compulsory) book for the Urdu Lecturers of Islamabad Model Colleges. Now the Department has adopted this activity permanently every year. The sole purpose is to prepare efficient teachers for teaching Urdu language and literature.
| Objectives :
|| The teaching programmes of the department of Urdu are designed to achieve the following objectives:
1) Teaching of the National Language at different academic levels as the compulsory subject.
2) Teaching of the other Pakistani Languages through Urdu for national solidarity and oneness.
3) Teaching of Urdu Literature as an elective subject.
4) Switch over of Urdu official terms etc. with the view to facilitate its practice (use) both in public and private sectors.
5) Offering of M.Phil and Ph.D programmes in Urdu in order to promote research activity and awareness among the scholars.
| Future Plans :
|| The Department of Urdu intends to introduce a Certificate Course (Urdu) for foreigners in future.
|Academic Facilities :
|Postal Address :
||Department of Urdu, Block No.08 Allama Iqbal Open University Sector H-8, Islamabad.
|Staff Members :
||Staff Members Details